At Cortland, you map the story of your success. We don't adhere to the status quo, we love outside industry perspective, and we thrive on exploring possibilities and reimagining solutions. As an innovative leader in Build to Rent (BTR) in the USA, our high performance continues to drive exponential growth – and we invite you to join us on our journey towards real estate excellence. With tools and guidance to sharpen your skills, you can forge your own career path, love what you do, and let it show.
Cortland wish to develop 10,000 BTR units in the UK over the next 5-7 years and have commenced construction on our first 486-unit BTR residential development in Watford and have secured a pipeline of development and investment opportunities across the UK and Ireland.
As an Associate Investment Analyst, you will report to the head of Europe’s Investments team. This position will support and work with all levels of Associates throughout Cortland ensuring their needs are met to support the investors, banks, associates and partners. The focus will be on the Cortland Europe business and based in London.
As an Associate Investment Analyst, you will support the investment of funds into the development and acquisition of a Cortland planned £4bn investment into the UK BTR sector through quantitative analysis, financial modelling, project accounting and reporting. Here’s how you would participate in our fantastic growth:
The Model Builder
- Build/modify financial appraisal models for developments and acquisitions
- Model sensitivity analysis on development and investment models including Monte Carlo/Multivariate simulations
- Create bespoke investment models with full capital stack (debt & equity) and cash cascades/waterfalls for investment and debt reporting
- Create financial models and reporting templates for debt and equity investors
- Track, co-ordinate and update investment models through the capital raising and investment process
The Reports Guru
- Prepare the Investment Information Memorandum and present to investors for development/investment projects
- Prepare and monitor debt and equity drawdowns for developments and investments
- Responsible for ensuring compliance to Loan/Finance documents and Conditions Precedent to funding
- Responsible for calculating loan interest/promote/waterfalls and returns to investors
- Monitor and report the VAT/CIS position through the development cycle
- Monitor development project funding and reporting during construction and into operations
- Provide monthly and quarterly financial reports throughout the construction and operational phase to Directors, lenders and investors
- Clearly communicate property, development and portfolio results to internal team and external debt and equity funders
The Number Cruncher
- Manipulate and organise numerical data so that astute analytical inference can be drawn
- Provide analysis of development and investment appraisals, including inputs and assumptions and outputs
- Calculation and analysis of project and investment IRR, Cash-on-Cash, WACC, Yield, Cap Rates, profit on cost and debt
- Review operating and capital budgets for the portfolio including, life-cycle costing and repairs and maintenance provisions
YOUR BUILDING BLOCKS OF SUCCESS
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in property, mathematics, finance or accounting. Post graduate qualification in finance/CFA, RICS/FCA an advantage
- Significant record of development and investment analysis/financial modelling/asset management for residential property development and investment
- Experience in project accounting and financial reporting
- Experience in creating residential development and investment financial models
- Work experience with a property developer/house builder, or investment fund in BTR
- Organizational, quantitative and strong analytical skills
- Reporting and analysis of project accounts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize daily tasks to meet deadlines timely
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Working knowledge of VBA, and SQL, Python, xlwings an advantage
- Collaborative approach to working with Executive team members and investment peers
- Attention to detail
- Ability to approach problems both logically and creatively
THE IMPACT YOU CAN MAKE
- The UK leadership team looks forward to seeing your well-developed models, insightful reports, and in-depth analyzations.
- Investors have a crystal-clear picture of how their assets are performing thanks to your continuous and clear communication.
- You’re so effective in collaborating with a wide variety of roles – not to mention a wide range of personalities – that there’s talk of nominating you for office mayor!
THE CORTLAND DIFFERENCE
At Cortland, we create, reimagine, and manage apartment communities for residents worldwide. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, we have communities and regional offices all over the USA, as well as the UK and China. From product design and procurement to general contracting and property management, we do it all – to make sure our communities are the perfect setting for living life to its fullest.
Our success is fueled by our belief in a better life – where hospitality is always a given, each detail is worth a second thought, and every open door is a new opportunity to go beyond expectations. We come to work every day to create possibilities for people – possibilities that translate into superior living spaces and experiences designed to inspire our residents, associates, and investors to live a better life focused on what matters most to them.
Cortland is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud to support and celebrate diversity in the workplace. We are committed to equal consideration for all qualified applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance with the application process and/or using our website, please email email@example.com or call 0044 207 016 0026.
Cortland is a drug-free workplace.