At Cortland, you map the story of your success. We don't adhere to the status quo, we love outside industry perspective, and we thrive on exploring possibilities and reimagining solutions. As an innovative leader in Build to Rent (BTR) in the USA, our high performance continues to drive exponential growth – and we invite you to join us on our journey towards real estate excellence. With tools and guidance to sharpen your skills, you can forge your own career path, love what you do, and let it show.
Cortland wish to develop 10,000 BTR units in the UK over the next 5-7 years and have commenced construction on our first 486-unit BTR residential development in Watford and have secured a pipeline of development and investment opportunities across the UK and Ireland.
As a Development Manager, you will report to the head of Europe’s Development Team to support and manage the delivery of all domestic projects, working with a variety of in-house teams as well as third parties to oversee the delivery of an exciting pipeline. Here are the roles you’ll play:
- Support the identification and pursuit of new development opportunities
- Lead the technical due diligence process in pursuing new opportunities and implement risk management techniques
- Perform site feasibility analysis of potential new projects, including project strategy; collaborate with internal Cortland stakeholders, including Finance, Construction, Operations, etc.
- Lead a project-by-project business plan implementation, production of all design/construction documents, special project management, planning, and construction of new projects
- Develop and manage budgets, including pre-development spending, that support cost-effective implementation of Cortland’s strategies, tactics, and operating plans
- Produce standard outline specifications that teams can easily access for use in new developments
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and review project deliverables
- Manage the RFP process in tandem with Cortland’s in-house construction team to select general contractors to carry out new development projects
- Direct the administration, communication, and overall performance of general contractors, design consultants, legal teams and capital partners
- Drive the planning process and requirements for each project by working with various local authorities and stakeholders; represent the company and the project at all public and private meetings
- Serve as the link between Design and Construction teams to ensure cohesive coordination of complex projects from concept to completion
- Partner with Development and Operations leadership to develop the business plan and project roadmap for each new domestic development; collaborate with Operations team to provide asset management oversight to guide the community to stabilization
- Perform site visits with the general contractors, manage their design work, verify their budget submissions, and approve their payment applications
- Prepare monthly reporting for internal and external constituents that contains the status of the project, including budget, general contractor change requests, potential risk, contingency and allowance reconciliations, construction schedule, construction update, and cash flow
- Oversee important tasks like estimating, budgeting, scheduling, negotiating contracts, purchasing, controlling quality, and reporting
- Act as the owner’s representative when attending project owner’s meetings
- Review RFIs and applicable submittals as needed for owner input
- Supervise, train, and coach associates on the Development team
The Impact You Can Make
- Your management and oversight ensures that all development projects are completed on time, within budget, and at the highest quality.
- The developmental success rate for the projects you manage has never been higher, thanks to your close attention to detail and recommendations for improvement.
- Investors could not be more thrilled with their returns because the construction and design projects you supervise have added so much value to their assets.
Your Building Blocks of Success
- Extensive experience in real estate and strong build-to-rent/residential operational markets experience
- Experience creating and managing financial models required; experience in the build to rent industry preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Real Estate, Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent experience; Master’s degree preferred
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills as well as contract negotiation expertise
- Ability to perform without immediate supervision and to handle multiple projects across various stages
- Effective use of various project management software to plan, monitor, and report on projects
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications
The Cortland Difference
At Cortland, we create, reimagine, and manage apartment communities for residents worldwide. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, we have communities and regional offices all over the USA, as well as the UK and China. From product design and procurement to general contracting and property management, we do it all – to make sure our communities are the perfect setting for living life to its fullest.
Our success is fuelled by our belief in a better life – where hospitality is always a given, each detail is worth a second thought, and every open door is a new opportunity to go beyond expectations. We come to work every day to create possibilities for people – possibilities that translate into superior living spaces and experiences designed to inspire our residents, associates, and investors to live a better life focused on what matters most to them.
Cortland is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud to support and celebrate diversity in the workplace. We are committed to equal consideration for all qualified applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance with the application process and/or using our website, please email email@example.com or call 0044 207 016 0026.
Cortland is a drug-free workplace.